Montessori education is based on a deep respect for children and the belief children have an innate desire to learn, grow, and develop into capable adults.
Adults need only demonstrate, invite, and provide opportunities for children to learn what they’re interested in, and request that
- Mixed Age Classrooms- Community mindedness is emphasized and opportunities for both apprenticeship and mentorship abound.
- Prepared Environment- Maximizing engagement with the materials.
- Student Choice- Child led educational plans to maximize learning.
- Montessori Trained Teachers- Extensive education in child development and the Montessori method.
- Montessori Materials- meticulously and scientifically designed materials that create and sustain interest.
- Built in Control of Error- Materials provide children the opportunity to discover their mistakes independently and correct them.
- Freedom of Movement- The classroom is designed to encourage students to move about the classroom freely working independently or in pairs or small groups.
- Work Periods- ideally three hour chunks of time in which to complete lessons and assignments as well as independently chosen work.
- A Child Driven Environment- Teachers are guides and observers, rather than lecturers. Lessons are typically given in small groups or one on one, with daily circles including the whole class.